The Orlando Sentinel, Fla., Theme Park Ranger column: Universal Studios: Going up on Rockit after the sun goes down

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Nov 06, 2009 (The Orlando Sentinel - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- This is a dark, depressing week for me. The end of Daylight Savings Time brings me down, primarily because I don't like leaving the office and being greeted by pitch-black skies. It offends my Sunshine State sensibilities
But this year, at least, there's a silver lining. This week, the time change, shorter days and theme-park hours aligned so that I finally could board Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit at Universal Studios after dark. There had been opportunities soon after the coaster opened in August, but since then the theme park has been closing well before summer sunset, and Rockit was not open to riders during the decidedly dark Halloween Horror Nights.

From the ground, Rockit looks flashier at night than its daytime version. The dramatic lift hill is awash in red lighting and the trains rise through hoops with strobing, pulsating lights. The effect reminded me of Christmas-tree lights on random-sequence setting.


Also brightly illuminated are the non-inverted loop behind the Music Plaza stage area and the loops nearest the front of the park and Universal CityWalk, which serves as a good ad for the newish ride to passers-by.

Adding to the light show are the cars themselves. Each has colorful LED action going along the base of the vehicle, sometimes flashing, sometimes chasing, sometimes alternating between colors. It's fun and active and adds a carnival feel -- and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

For passengers, the most striking of these effects are the hoops encasing the lift hill. That makes the Rockit feel like, well, a rocket, readying for blastoff. An entertaining aspect about the after-dark ride is the glowing park scenery, such as Revenge of the Mummy and the Simpsons Ride, along with CityWalk sights including the searchlights vacillating across the sky.

I had thought the nighttime Rockit experience was going to be all about the lighting, so I was pleasantly surprised to find the musical aspect -- one of the ride's selling points, after all -- to be more powerful. In the dark, you're even more alone with your tunes. Dare I say ... intimate? My song selection for my maiden after-dark Rockit romp? "Midnight Rider" by the Allman Brothers. A boy can dream, right? Attention, night riders: Hours for Universal Studios are 9 a.m.-6 p.m. through Dec. 18 -- except Nov. 27-28, when the park is open until 8 pm.

Rockit wish list It had been a few weeks since I had been on Rockit. There's been progress in the quality of the experience, but I still have higher hopes.

I wished Rockit had run during Halloween Horror Nights, but I do think its tone might be too bright, light and airy. How about a spooky overlay for next year, the event's 20th edition? I wish all five trains were running because that would be quite the nighttime spectacle.

I wish that the animated pre-show could be edited to exclude the references to the "moving platform" or that the platform would move.

I wish park guests would join me in making the safety video interactive. After the characters say "Let's hit this," then let's all say "Hasta!" as they do. There is a good deal of repetition during the wait, so let's find our mockery where we can.

I wish that in the on-board video I didn't look like I was in pain. I'm having fun, honest.

Hasta! I'm a fool for the parks after dusk. Here are a few of my favorite nighttime moments: --Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Magic Kingdom. You miss some of the atmosphere within the ride, but you pick up a great view of Cinderella Castle. Darkness adds mystery that makes the coaster more thrilling than Space Mountain.

--Speaking of the castle, we're within days of the Castle Dreamlights. Normally, I would think it too early for such festivity, but Cinderella's place decked out in thousands of lights is special enough for an exception. Check it out (plus the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios) starting Nov. 10.

--A deserted -- but aglow -- Seuss Landing at Islands of Adventure is extra surreal.

--You can't beat IllumiNations at Epcot as a capper for a day of theme parking.

--On my to-do list: Manta at SeaWorld Orlando and Characters in Flight at Downtown Disney. Nightcap, anyone? To see more of The Orlando Sentinel or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.OrlandoSentinel.com. Copyright (c) 2009, The Orlando Sentinel, Fla.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services. For reprints, email tmsreprints@permissionsgroup.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.  

Posted by 7Hungama.c0m at 1:56 AM

0 comments:

Post a Comment