Armistice Day/Veterans Day: A Forgotten Holiday

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

t began as Armistice Day; with the world commemorating the end of the "War to end all wars," and was declared as such in 1918 at the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month. A few months later in June of 1919, the Treaty of Versailles was signed; technically signifying the end of World War I.
In 1954, the day officially was changed to Veterans Day here in the United States; with the intention of honoring veterans who had fought in all wars.
Tomorrow is Veterans Day, and it makes my heart ache to think that a holiday that should be so incredibly revered is barely recognized in many communities. All caught up in the rush of "the holidays are coming," we've grown lax in celebrating this important holiday. Without our veterans we might not enjoy the privileges we do in this country when we sit down to eat Thanksgiving dinner or celebrate Christmas with our families and friends.
My high school aged son has the day off from school tomorrow; and I know he understands the reason why. You see, he was homeschooled for several years, and every year on Veterans Day (as well as Memorial Day) we attended the services held at the local cemetery. We observed the parade, along with a sparse trickling of other watchers; and we visited veterans in local nursing homes. We helped put flags on the graves of veterans in our city and two adjacent cities as well.
I spent a few minutes yesterday asking some of my son's friends if they knew why they were getting a day off from school on Wednesday. The responses saddened me, but didn't surprise me in the least.
"I think the teachers are doing some kind of workshop thingy."
"It's so the teachers can shop for Christmas and Thanksgiving, because they don't get time to closer to the holidays."
"No clue; but I get a day off, so who cares?"
"I think it's so people can protest the war in Iraq in the square downtown."
I guess I wasn't surprised because I've witnessed rapidly increasing apathy in our country of great fortune. We can't blame these teenage boys. But what about their parents? What about the teachers? Can't they remind these kids of the significance of such an important holiday? Don't the parents recall grandparents, uncles, aunts, and perhaps even parents who served in wars?
I know Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming; but before either of these celebrations comes Veterans Day...and while I realize it doesn't hold the allure of a big fancy meal or wrapped presents; can't we celebrate the presence of those veterans who are still here among us, and honor those who have passed?
If everyone would simply acknowledge the day and share a bit about it with one of our young people, values like honor and respect might eventually trickle back into our country's veins.
Isn't it at least worth a try?

Posted by 7Hungama.c0m at 7:56 AM

0 comments:

Post a Comment